Evolution of LFS

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 10:07:49 PST 2007

Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am back:)

I'm glad someone is.

> I recently received a question from a user who inquired why we did the
> things in LFS the way were are doing them now. That got me thinking
> that though not-so-old-timers like me know how LFS evolved over the
> years, new comers may not know about these. For example, how many
> folks remember that X, httpd, etc use to be part of LFS?
>
> I would like to suggest adding an appendix on "Evolution of LFS" in the book.

An interesting idea.  It wouldn't be a very long Appendix, but it seems
like a good idea to me.  You have a good start but there could be a bit
more detail and still keep it to one page.  For instance, which versions
of the book made what changes and when were the changes.  If you are
going to mention people like MSB, I think you need to mention all the
key players including the evolution of ALFS, BLFS, and CLFS. I don't
think a detailed history of the spinoffs is necessary, but a mention
about when they started and what their initial purpose was would be
appropriate.   I also think ICA needs to be explained a bit more.

  -- Bruce