proposal for inclusion of e2fsprogs in chapter 5

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 20:34:09 PST 2007

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> Thomas Pegg wrote:
>> From what I remember it was so we could mount /dev/pts and /dev/shm
>> inside of the chroot, but that's unnecessary now with the bind mount
>> of the host's /dev.
>
> The bind-mount of /dev isn't what makes it unnecessary.  That's why
> section 6.2.3 still exists -- we still have to mount devpts separately.
> And we use the newly-built mount for this since it exists in /tools/bin,
> and /tools/bin is at the start of $PATH.  (Or at least, I think it
> should still be first.)
>
> What I don't know is whether we could get away with using the host's
> mount binary instead, if we didn't do util-linux...

What I was thinking of is that we could do a final and only build of
util-linux and e2fsprogs as the first packages of Chapter 6.  That way
we could drop in util-linux-ng without any  other changes.  It avoids
building util-linux (and if we go to util-linux-ng, e2fsprogs) in Chapter 5.

I don't know if this really makes sense or not.  It may just be some
minor optimization in the package order.  I'm not advocating anything
here, but just discussing options.

  -- Bruce