proposal for inclusion of e2fsprogs in chapter 5

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 11 16:39:59 PST 2007

Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> Thomas Pegg wrote:
>> From what I remember it was so we could mount /dev/pts and /dev/shm
>> inside of the chroot, but that's unnecessary now with the bind mount
>> of the host's /dev.
>
> The bind-mount of /dev isn't what makes it unnecessary.  That's why
> section 6.2.3 still exists -- we still have to mount devpts separately.
> And we use the newly-built mount for this since it exists in /tools/bin,
> and /tools/bin is at the start of $PATH.  (Or at least, I think it
> should still be first.)

Actually were using the host's mount at that point unless your adding
/tools/bin to the root user path (which is not in the book I might add),
  since su'ing to root even from the lfs user the path does not carry
over, /tools/bin is lost.

Here's results from a little test I just did:

tomp at wopr:~$ export PATH=/tools/bin:$PATH
tomp at wopr:~$ echo $PATH
/tools/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
tomp at wopr:~$ type -p mount
/tools/bin/mount
tomp at wopr:~$ su root
Password:
su: Authentication failure
Sorry.
tomp at wopr:~$ su root
Password:
root at wopr:/home/tomp# echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
root at wopr:/home/tomp# type -p mount
/bin/mount
root at wopr:/home/tomp# exit
exit