proposal for inclusion of e2fsprogs in chapter 5

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Dec 11 20:23:29 PST 2007

Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> Thomas Pegg wrote:
>> since su'ing to root even from the lfs user the path does not carry
>> over, /tools/bin is lost.
>
> It will carry over unless your shell login scripts explicitly reset it.

Umm, not necessarily. It depends if the `su' comes from Coreutils or
Shadow, as I once found out the hard way. The Shadow supplied `su'
explicitly twiddles with PATH. Look at src/su.c for proof. More background
here:

http://www.diy-linux.org/pipermail/diy-linux-dev/2005-August/000610.html

Sidenote: next Coreutils release will no longer install install `su' by
default.

Regards
Greg
--