Stable LFS LiveCD 6.3-r2160 released

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 02:11:06 PST 2007

2007/12/31, Thomas Reitelbach <tr at erdfunkstelle.de>:
> There has recently been an article in a german magazine about LFS, where I
> have been interviewed about it. The question came up, why the LiveCD doesn't
> contain any translations of the book.
>
> What do you think, would it be possible for you to include translated books on
> the LiveCD? Of course with the current situation it's not easy to keep track
> of translations and to know which of them are current and which aren't. (Each
> translation is hosted on it's own website).

The problem is that translated books are not available for LFS SVN, so
development versions of the CD cannot include them. Spanish and German
translations of LFS-6.3 are indeed available in the HTML format.
However, translated books are not available in the XML format. And the
last: there were at least two issues with inexact translations in the
past on #lfs-support (e.g., a translator forgot to remove an
instruction that tells to apply now-obsolete patch), and my proposal
for infrastructure changes so that such things could no longer happen
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2006-May/057337.html)
remains unimplemented.

So, IMHO, translations that are worth including simply don't exist now.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov