LFS Wiki UserNotes

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 2 16:07:54 PST 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 11:12:44PM +0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Friday 02 February 2007 22:55, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
> > http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-support/2007-February/032433.html
>
> Wow, that's very useful information indeed.
>
> > I'd like it if he'd put that info on the Wiki, but I don't know where
> > to tell him to put it or how anyone would be able to find it.
>
> There's a Table of Contents on each page, so I guess a link in there is as
> good a place as any.  Is 'Notes' descriptive enough?

 I hadn't realised until now that the LFS info was in a wiki.  To me,
the content, and indeed the format in which it was posted, are a hint.
Hints have a couple of differences from wikis - the text remains under
the control (and copyright, license) of the author, and isn't subject
to random edits by someone who (maybe) knows something about it.

  Wearing my "cause maximum trouble" hat, surely changing
the zoneinfo happens a long time *beyond* linuxfromscratch ?

> > Is anyone interested in setting something up for LFS? I'd be willing
> > to put the infrastructure in place. Following further, would anyone be
> > interested in setting up User Notes links in the book like in BLFS
> > with dedicated pages for each package in the Wiki?
>
> Yes, I think that sounds like a sensible idea.  Does blfs-book get notified
> when the Wiki pages are edited?  The reason I ask is that I don't want
> editors to have to periodically trawl though the Wiki to monitor if there is
> any useful information that can be merged back into the book.  If Wiki edits
> were to trigger an email to lfs-book, that'd be great.

 Oh $DEITY no, please!  If a wiki is any good, it should eventually
have a lot of edits.  Maybe a wiki-commits list for those who want
to watch the editing.  If we'd had an LFS wiki in the days of
lfs-hackers, it would have been a good place to keep up-to-date
notes, e.g. 'with gcc-4.1.2-rc0 you need to do this', and
'gcc-4.2.-ccyymmdd has the following issues'.  Just what you need in
your -book mailbox.

ĸen