LFS Wiki UserNotes

Barius Drubeck barius.drubeck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:09:47 PST 2007

On Saturday 03 February 2007 01:07, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 11:12:44PM +0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> > On Friday 02 February 2007 22:55, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > > http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-support/2007-February
> > >/032433.html
> >
> > Wow, that's very useful information indeed.
> >
> > > I'd like it if he'd put that info on the Wiki, but I don't know
> > > where to tell him to put it or how anyone would be able to find
> > > it.
> >
> > There's a Table of Contents on each page, so I guess a link in
> > there is as good a place as any.  Is 'Notes' descriptive enough?
>
>  I hadn't realised until now that the LFS info was in a wiki.  To
> me, the content, and indeed the format in which it was posted, are
> a hint. Hints have a couple of differences from wikis - the text
> remains under the control (and copyright, license) of the author,
> and isn't subject to random edits by someone who (maybe) knows
> something about it.

For this particular case (timezone data update) I share the same "hint
reflex".  However, the notes link to the wiki still sounds like a
great idea.

>   Wearing my "cause maximum trouble" hat, surely changing
> the zoneinfo happens a long time *beyond* linuxfromscratch ?

Yes and no.  If you mean to imply that it belongs with BLFS, I don't
really think that BLFS is the place to start redoing the core of LFS.
And glibc is a pretty fundamental base component to the system that
one should 'get right the 1st time'.

On the other hand, it is indeed a problem specific to supporting and
maintaining ancient systems with ancient glibc, thus temporaly far
*beyond* LFS, and therefore has little to do with a fresh LFS build
of a new system.

So we are left with the question of where this nice, useful
contribution belongs.  A hint, no?
--
Barius