Default filesystem

Luca liliana.perossa at fastwebnet.it
Fri Feb 2 22:03:43 PST 2007

Hi.

Only a reflection.
LFS officially supports Ext3 as default file-system and in BLFS book we
find under File Systems ReiserFS and XFS progs. These filesystems are
judged stable (Reiser4 is not judgeable as it is too young but it's
faster than those; I found only a bug after testing it for some months,
a temporary disk freeze - minutes - after some working hours) so why not
adding official support for Ext2 (too old and replaced by Ext3), Ext3
(to be replaced by Ext4), ReiserFS and XFS as possible default filesystem?
It should be possible to add experimental support for Reiser4 too (as
stated by Alexander and me it works well with LFS-6.2; anyway I started
experimenting it some months ago with lfs-svn versions) but it has some
required pre-requisites and some extra packages need to be added in
LFS-book - this is valid for ReiserFS/XFS too.
I, for a "project" of mine, tried LFS using other file-systems too: IBM
JFS, Axis JFFS and Red Hat JFFS2.

Friendly,
Luca