Default filesystem

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 23:38:30 PST 2007

Luca wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Only a reflection.
> LFS officially supports Ext3 as default file-system and in BLFS book we
> find under File Systems ReiserFS and XFS progs. These filesystems are
> judged stable (Reiser4 is not judgeable as it is too young but it's
> faster than those; I found only a bug after testing it for some months,
> a temporary disk freeze - minutes - after some working hours) so why not
> adding official support for Ext2 (too old and replaced by Ext3), Ext3
> (to be replaced by Ext4), ReiserFS and XFS as possible default filesystem?
> It should be possible to add experimental support for Reiser4 too (as
> stated by Alexander and me it works well with LFS-6.2; anyway I started
> experimenting it some months ago with lfs-svn versions) but it has some
> required pre-requisites and some extra packages need to be added in
> LFS-book - this is valid for ReiserFS/XFS too.
> I, for a "project" of mine, tried LFS using other file-systems too: IBM
> JFS, Axis JFFS and Red Hat JFFS2.
>
> Friendly,
> Luca

Luca,

I'd be interested in pursuing this idea.

The key, for me, would be some form of 'soak test' to prove that what
was built was fit for purpose - that in turn depends on understanding
where these filesystems break, where their 'edges' are - sorry I'm not
being precise here as I'm not competent to judge.  How do you do it now?

I think it's wiki stuff, or hints maybe (if they are not stone dead),
for the moment.  If we get sufficient interest, AND it looks stable, the
editors might put something in the book.  You can't ask them to add new
stuff unless you know how to support it - and who will do the supporting!

R.