Default filesystem

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 09:28:23 PST 2007

On 2/2/07, Luca <liliana.perossa at fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> "Anyway, I am afraid that any attempt to build LFS on any filesystem
> other than ext3 is now considered an unforgivable deviation from the
> book (reason for such thought: for a long time, reiserfsprogs failed to
> build, and xfsprogs page contained a dead link - but both issues are
> fixed now)."
>
> This led me to such reflection; I mean, if it is considered an "
> unforgivable deviation" from the book it could imply that Ext3 is
> officially supported while others not.

I'm sorry, this is wrong. Just because the BLFS editors are lazy in
updating the reiserfsprogs and xfsprogs pages doesn't imply that any
*LFS editor thinks they're not preferred filesystems to build on. By
no means would I turn anyone away who was building on non-ext3. You
could build on vfat for all I care. I can't think of anything we do in
either book that's filesystem dependent besides the actual `mkfs'.

Both the books were pretty bad for a major part of the last year. I
wouldn't read more into this than there is. If I was going to change
anything, it would only be to say that these aren't the only
possibilities for filesystems in LFS Ch. 2.3. It sounds like we're
currently giving the impression that those are the only supported
filesystems.

Are you aware of any issues with the current reiserfsprogs or xfsprogs
instructions?

P.S. I'm glad to hear you had success building LFS on the other filesystems.

--
Dan