Boot sequence speed-up?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 10:45:58 PST 2007

On 2/3/07, Randy McMurchy <lfs-user at mcmurchy.com> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 02/03/07 12:11 CST:
> > On 2/3/07, TheOldFellow <theoldfellow at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> What I need is something it can't handle, like Udev for several months a
> >> year ago, or a new booting scheme...
> >
> > This is actually something I want to bring up. Our booting is dog
> > slow. Maybe it's time to look into making improvements. We could
> > replace init with init-ng or upstart. Or, we could just work to
> > parallelize the bootscripts like is done on RedHat and SuSE. I think
> > this has been brought up before.
>
> "dog slow". I suppose you'd have to enlighten me how much faster this
> old 500mhz system would boot if the boot sequence was "improved". On
> my last boot, the logs show this:

Mostly what I mean is that from the time boot has started to getting a
prompt. If you have a laptop, for example, you're booting frequently
and 25 seconds is kind of long. Or, at least, 25 seconds is much
longer than it needs to be. Point is taken, though, and maybe "dog
slow" isn't the right phrase.

At the minimum, things could be vastly sped up by not serializing the
whole operation. Read this article from IBM for an example.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html

--
Dan