Boot sequence speed-up?

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Sat Feb 3 10:55:35 PST 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> On my last boot, the logs show this:
>
>>From kernel.log:
> Jan  9 23:46:01 rmlscsi kernel: klogd 1.4.1, log source = /proc/kmsg
> started.

Note that this time is when klogd started, not when the kernel booted.
(At klogd start time, it reads the kernel printk ring buffer and sends
everything to syslogd, which drops the current time onto each line.)
Well, unless you have your kernel logging timestamps in its printk
messages, but I don't think those timestamps have this format.

OTOH, sysklogd runs fairly early (it's at S10 in rc3.d, so it starts
right after the rcsysinit.d stuff finishes starting), so from grub to
your last daemon's start probably still isn't more than 30 seconds.  The
slowest parts are probably waiting for udev to finish, and running fsck.

> Oh, also let me say that my systems are booted very infrequently
> (when I go out of town, or there's an extended power outage), so 25
> seconds every month (or several months) seems acceptable. :-)

Yeah, I feel the same way about my server (it gets booted maybe three or
four times a year).  But the machine I'm on right now is too loud at
night, so I shut it down then, which means it boots up around once a
day.  When you boot more often, it obviously makes more sense to speed
up the boot.  ;-)