Boot sequence speed-up?

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 3 11:14:06 PST 2007

Bryan Kadzban wrote these words on 02/03/07 12:55 CST:
> But the machine I'm on right now is too loud at
> night, so I shut it down then, which means it boots up around once a
> day.  When you boot more often, it obviously makes more sense to speed
> up the boot.  ;-)

Point taken from you and Dan about machines that require frequent
booting, but not to beat a dead horse, I'm throwing out one more
statistic:

On a much more modern machine than the 500mhz machine I threw out
stats on already (2400+ Athlon), from the time boot logging starts
and the time it ends is 12 seconds. And on this machine, a few more
processes are started.

Just out of curiosity (I can't right now), as soon as I can I'm
going to boot my fastest machine and time it using a stopwatch from
the time I press Enter at the GRUB prompt, to the time I get a prompt
on the console.

For you laptop guys, about how long does it take to boot from GRUB
to prompt using the current bootscripts (I say from GRUB, as the GRUB
menu is displayed almost instantaneously after BIOS checks and the
system begins booting)? Please don't count any full fscking that may
go on for you. Of course, this would skew results.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
13:06:01 up 24 days, 13:20, 1 user, load average: 0.28, 0.10, 0.08