Boot sequence speed-up?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 3 12:16:18 PST 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 01:14:06PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Point taken from you and Dan about machines that require frequent
> booting, but not to beat a dead horse, I'm throwing out one more
> statistic:
>
> On a much more modern machine than the 500mhz machine I threw out
> stats on already (2400+ Athlon), from the time boot logging starts
> and the time it ends is 12 seconds. And on this machine, a few more
> processes are started.

 FWIW, here are my times for my fastest desktop (athlon64 4000+) and
my latest (via C7D 1.5GHz, using an old LFS-6.1 system that was on
the disk, static ip, no X).  I don't have a stopwatch anymore, and
my watch has a rotating second hand, so these times are only
accurate to a couple of seconds.  Also, I care about the time it
takes to get to a bootloader prompt because it is part of the
power-up experience.  I restarted the timings from when I hit
<enter> after selecting which kernel/system.  All in seconds.

				a64 4000+	c7
power on			0		0
bootloader prompt		14		16

select the kernel/system	0		0
init starts			7		20
console prompt					54
gdm prompt			45

 Slow things:

On the C7, ntp takes about 19 seconds, nothing else stood out.

On the athlon64, dhcp took about 5 seconds, ntp about 14 seconds,
and X itself is dog slow to start.  Might be the particular driver
or the particular card.

ĸen