Default filesystem

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 01:13:41 PST 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 2/3/07, TheOldFellow <theoldfellow at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What I need is something it can't handle, like Udev for several months a
>> year ago, or a new booting scheme...
>
> This is actually something I want to bring up. Our booting is dog
> slow. Maybe it's time to look into making improvements. We could
> replace init with init-ng or upstart. Or, we could just work to
> parallelize the bootscripts like is done on RedHat and SuSE. I think
> this has been brought up before.

Timezones mean that I see the whole Yankee thread before replying at
all....  :-)

When I moved from using sysvinit to runit, a couple of years ago, the
main reason I did it was to speed up booting.  I still use LFS
bootscripts for the (rcsysinit list) initialisation actions, but call
them from the runit start script 1 (and on shutdown from the runit
closedown script 3).  This means that those actions are done in serial,
so there is no speed-up.  For then on in, however, starting of services
takes place in parallel, including starting xdm (I don't run any gettys
anymore).  This does give me a significant speed-up to login widget, but
the most time is waiting for X to start-up.

X start up, I've discovered, is very dependent on how much groping it
has to do.  Removing 'auto' from the mouse protocol, saves 5 seconds,
for instance on one of my systems.  I have not yet found out how to stop
it trying all the modes to see which work, even though I include mode
lines.  This is a fruitful field of study, I think.

R.