Default filesystem

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 02:29:13 PST 2007

Luca wrote:
> TheOldFellow ha scritto:
>> Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I think, but not sure about, something not handled could be LVM, Flash
> devices, dual boots (I managed a dual boot between LFS and Solaris with
> ZFS filesystem) etc... too.
>
> Right, some things require an "advanced" setup as said by Alexander,
> this is true, but at least there could be some examples or some hints
> pointers or notes...
>
> I know that maybe a newbie would try to follow or to apply these setups
> without having knowledge or capabilities and that "Gurus" probably don't
> need those indications but these are, imo, "bare" system choices.
>
> Friendly,
> Luca

Hi Luca,

These are not things that are needed in a base or core system.  You can
always build LFS without them, and then add this functionality
afterwards.  If you built LFS without, say, ncurses, you would have to
rebuild many packages to add it, but LVM isn't like this (as far as I know).

There is Core-core, that is, the Toolchain, kernel and the applications
needed to run a prompt after booting, and then the outer-core, the tools
that make the core suitable to do enough to build the system you want.
Then there is the beyond-core of things you just expect a Unix system to
have.  LFS does this well right now.

I extensions need to be considered, but I don't see them as LFS core,
more a Hint and not even a BLFS item.  I've written hints along the
lines of 'if you want to build LFS with capability X, then do this at
stage Y...', and this is what I think you should do.  A good example
would be my runit hint (now unsupported).

Best wishes,
Richard.