Default filesystem

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 08:15:45 PST 2007

On 2/4/07, TheOldFellow <theoldfellow at gmail.com> wrote:

> X start up, I've discovered, is very dependent on how much groping it
> has to do.  Removing 'auto' from the mouse protocol, saves 5 seconds,
> for instance on one of my systems.  I have not yet found out how to stop
> it trying all the modes to see which work, even though I include mode
> lines.  This is a fruitful field of study, I think.

Mode setting in X is like black magic to me, but I think if you give
it an explicit Modeline in the Monitor section, it will use that
without doing the rest. You can find the specific mode setting by
reading one of the old logs.

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize  380       300     # mm
        Identifier    "ViewSonic"
        VendorName    "VSC"
        ModelName     "VX924"
        ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync     30.0 - 82.0
        VertRefresh   50.0 - 85.0
        Option        "DPMS"
        ModeLine      "dn1280x1024" 108.00 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024
1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

--
Dan