Readline Nitpick

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 22:41:43 PST 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 02/06/07 00:02 CST:
>
>> Could these permissions vary with a user's umask?  When entering the
>> chroot, we blow away the user's environment, but is the umask inherited?
>
> Not sure, but because these permission issues were first reported
> by me, and now some seem to be fixed upstream using my *exact* same
> installation (coinciding with the book's instructions) methods, I'd
> lean to this is simply something changed upstream.
>
> You could probably browse through the logs/makefiles and see exactly
> what is going on, but I'd bet a Coke that you can rely on my log
> files as being something that happens to all installations.

I don't have time right now, but it would be an interesting experiment:

# umask 077
# chroot (into lfs partition)
# umask

Result 077 or 022?

If a file is copied and the umask is retained, the permissions will be
wrong.  Of course an install -m... and a cp -a will retain the dev's
permissions.

  -- Bruce