Proposal for an LFS-6.3

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Feb 8 00:46:52 PST 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> The current LFS SVN has an entirely upgraded toolchain, and many
> updates to core packages since the 6.2 release. I just built it and
> it appears rock solid.

That's because you didn't use any CFLAGS. If you had -Os in CFLAGS, you
would hit ticket #1935.

> Booted without a hitch (using Linux-2.16.20,
> Udev-105 and current LFS bootscripts). So far, everything seems really
> solid.

Well, there are some udev-related bugs that need to be entered into Trac.
Basically:

  * The udev bootscript runs, and creates temporary rules for newly-added
network cards in /dev/shm
  * The mountfs script mounts tmpfs on top of /dev/shm, hiding temporary rules!
  * The udev_retry script is supposed to copy temporary rules from /dev/shm
to the permanent location, but doesn't find them.

Reordering the scripts is not an option, because the purpose of the
udev_retry bootscript is also to retry uevents that failed due to
unavailable /usr. So, it looks like we have to move /dev/shm mounting from
fstab to the udev script.

Also, there are some GCC-4.1.1 related issues in BLFS Trac.

> I propose that we announce a plan to release LFS-6.3. It sure would
> make life easy over on the BLFS side with this 6.2 branch we have
> that targets LFS 6.2. An LFS 6.3 release would eliminate the need
> for us over in BLFS to maintain the 6.2 branch.

Since the changes required in BLFS to adapt for new LFS are not too big, I
tend to agree, even though the LiveCD is not really ready.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov