problems to make glibc-2.3.6 : /tools/include/asm/errno.h:4:31: error: asm-generic/errno.h: No such file or directory

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 14 09:54:09 PST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 08:40:10AM -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> After you tell configure that CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash, it should
> subsitute that for SHELL in make. But, glibc might not work that way.
> If you don't pass SHELL=/bin/bash to make, does it still work? I have
> a feeling that the important part here is "make SHELL=/bin/bash"
> because I don't think configure actually substitutes $SHELL in the
> Makefiles like most autotooled projects.
>
> LFS team, I think this is something we need to look into. I'm pretty
> sure Drepper insists on bash and could care less if things fail for
> you. There was an issue some months ago where one of the glibc tests
> was failing. It was because the test was using process substitution, a
> definite bashism. In the upstream bug report, Drepper basically said
> "you have to use bash". If I can find the bug, I'll link it here.

 Well, at least we now know not to use dash when building a system.
This was the second report, the first time we never got to the
bottom of it.  I'm just surprised that it hasn't cropped up more
often - maybe it's an optional thing in ubuntu.

 Adding SHELL=/bin/bash into the make invocation(s) seems a harmless
thing to do, but I don't have any systems where /bin/sh is not bash
so I can't test it.

ĸen