problems to make glibc-2.3.6 : /tools/include/asm/errno.h:4:31: error: asm-generic/errno.h: No such file or directory

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 10:15:14 PST 2007

On 2/14/07, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 08:40:10AM -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >
> > LFS team, I think this is something we need to look into. I'm pretty
> > sure Drepper insists on bash and could care less if things fail for
> > you. There was an issue some months ago where one of the glibc tests
> > was failing. It was because the test was using process substitution, a
> > definite bashism. In the upstream bug report, Drepper basically said
> > "you have to use bash". If I can find the bug, I'll link it here.
>
>  Well, at least we now know not to use dash when building a system.
> This was the second report, the first time we never got to the
> bottom of it.  I'm just surprised that it hasn't cropped up more
> often - maybe it's an optional thing in ubuntu.

I don't know if it's as strict as "don't use dash" if we can identify
the spots where bash is needed. Glibc is definitely one of them. In
DIY, Greg has added CONFIG_SHELL={,/tools}/bin/bash. I don't know if
we need to go that far, and it also probably doesn't help the glibc
case.

I'm pretty sure dash in the default /bin/sh now in Debian and Ubuntu.

>  Adding SHELL=/bin/bash into the make invocation(s) seems a harmless
> thing to do, but I don't have any systems where /bin/sh is not bash
> so I can't test it.

If you want to try dash, it's derived from ash and written by Herbert
Xu. I think we should replace ash with dash in BLFS since dash is
actually maintained. You can get it here if you want to play around:

http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/dash/

--
Dan