Make bootscripts more POSIX compliant

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Feb 20 00:08:49 PST 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 2/19/07, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
>> Could you please install posh from
>> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/posh/posh_0.5.4.tar.gz and test
>> whether it reveals any additional breakage?
>
> I'll take a look at it. Any background on posh?

It is known to be POSIX-compliant, but creatively broken in worst possible
ways. So, if a script works with posh, it should work almost everywhere.

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-policy@lists.debian.org/msg19954.html
http://www.garayed.com/linux/137368-default-debian-shell.html

> How would an implementation of translated messages work in general? gettext?

Yes - but the use of $"Message to be translated" syntax requires
#!/bin/bash. The only difference from the original bootscript would be to
change the interpreter, add $ before every translatable string (in one case,
this requires making the string translatable), and add *.po files. Russian
and Spanish po files already exist for old bootscripts.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov