Various issues with the book

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 00:22:28 PST 2007

On 2/19/07, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:
> 1. Perhaps it should be made somewhat clearer that the "Linux-Headers"
> installation comes from the kernel tarball. More than one user has come
> into the IRC chat asking if it was the CLFS "Linux-Headers" package.

No kidding. I don't know what else can be said, though. The Ch. 5 page
says "This is done by way of sanitizing various C header files that
are shipped in the Linux kernel source tarball".

I'd think the only reason to specify the mechanism would be if you
weren't using the scripts in the kernel. If you can think of anything,
though, I'll add it.

> 2. The toolchain-adjustment section says that you can edit the specs
> file by hand, but there is no specs file at all until it's generated by
> that command gcc | sed command.

Nice catch.

> 3. Is m4 really needed in Chapter 5? I thought the only reason it was
> there was because of Binutils, but it doesn't need m4 now...

Is that why? I have no idea, and I think you're probably most
qualified since you did all the work on the dependencies. The other
things that need it early in Ch. 6 are bison and autoconf, and they're
taken care of. I just looked through my logs, and gcc checks for m4,
but I don't think it uses it.

It could probably be removed or commented out, but I think someone
will have to do an ICA build to see what happens.

> 4. Inetutils installs programs for ipv6, including a "ping6" program.
> Since the FHS says that ping must be in /bin, it would seem to make
> sense to put ping6 there too...this is what we have done in CLFS.

I don't think I agree with that, but I don't feel really strongly either way.

> 5. The instructions for Man-DB eliminate the reference to /usr/man in
> the manpage search path to remove potential redundant results (since
> /usr/man is a symlink to /usr/share/man). The same should be done for
> /usr/local/man.

Good point.

> 6. Are the instructions in Texinfo for optionally installing TeX stuff
> really needed? First, there is no explanation for what TeX is. Second,
> there is no description of what exactly is installed ("components
> belonging in a TeX installation" - what components?). We simply removed
> that in CLFS.

I like that. You can enable an additional part with no extra
dependencies. And we don't install texinfo in BLFS, so the TeX sources
would just float away unless you were around before to know that they
exist.

I'd be alright with adding a little explanation about what they are.
Maybe all that's needed is a link to a site explaining TeX.

> 7. The Udev page says that Udev does not install any rules by default.
> Actually, it does. Right make install for Udev...
>
> root at chris:/home/lfs/sources/udev-105# ls /etc/udev/rules.d/
> 60-cdrom_id.rules              75-persistent-net-generator.rules
> 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules

OK.

> Do we want to keep those or replace them? In CLFS we simply eliminate
> the contents of /etc/udev/rules.d immediately after installing Udev.

We actually use them in LFS, and we decided not to replace any rules
provided upstream (unless they're broken). The udev-config tarball
only has a couple rules files and some documentation.

> Also, the "make install-doc" command for the LFS Udev rules creates the
> /usr/share/doc/udev-105 directory so the command for installing the
> documentation for writing Udev rules should be able to be shortened to
> "install -m644 -v docs/writing_udev_rules/index.html
> /usr/share/doc/udev-105".

Thanks.

> Also, I have attached a patch with a few text fixes for the book.
<snip>

Those all look good. Thanks, Chris.

--
Dan