Make bootscripts more POSIX compliant

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 04:45:38 PST 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 2/19/07, TheOldFellow <theoldfellow at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>>> After the error the other day with dash and glibc-2.3.6, <snip>
>> I prefer to install bash and start all the bootscripts #!/bin/bash to
>> make it clear that anyone who wants to use another shell is on their
>> own.  :-)
>
> Very true. But a big motivation of using dash is that it's much more
> lightweight than bash, presumably providing some speedup for simple
> scripts where lots of features aren't needed. I do love a bash script,
> though.
>
> --
> Dan

Hmm...  Maybe we should do a Dash version of LFS, designed for
sub-gigahertz systems with minimal memory, say 64M.  I'm all in favour
of recycling to save the planet.

While we're at it we could use one of the simple libcs and avoid that
dead-weight too.

On the point of speeding up bootscripts, you'll have far more luck by
parallelising your service start ups, then lightening the scripter.

R.