Parallelizing bootscripts [was: Make bootscripts more POSIX compliant]

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 12:42:13 PST 2007

On 2/20/07, TheOldFellow <theoldfellow at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dan's OP was 'use dash to speed up booting' (over-compressed
> over-simplification).  I said you'd do better by parallelising the
> service start ups.  Nothing here that says it's at all worth while to do
> either really.  It's an intellectual exercise!

I never said that it was going to make a significant difference, but
it that if you're going to spawn a bunch of shell scripts, it would
make sense to use the interpreter that's 1/6 the size of the other.

$ time { for (( i = 0; i < 20; i++ )); do /bin/bash -c ":"; done; }

real    0m0.034s
user    0m0.014s
sys     0m0.020s
$ time { for (( i = 0; i < 20; i++ )); do /bin/dash -c ":"; done; }

real    0m0.015s
user    0m0.004s
sys     0m0.011s

--