Parallelizing bootscripts [was: Make bootscripts more POSIX compliant]

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 20 14:03:16 PST 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 03:28:49PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> The memory space is generally not significant either because only one
> copy of the code is in memory at any time.  The difference would be data
> space.

 /me admits to hoping someone would try this - there was an article on
lwn recently, http://lwn.net/Articles/220255/ - apparently in
Tanenbaum's benchmarks the original sh was fastest, and in the
discussion somebody noted that ubuntu had switched to dash to speed
up their bootscripts.

 Of course, our own bootscripts are lean and mean - anything derived
from debian seems to do its best to add layers of indirection.

ken