Parallelizing bootscripts [was: Make bootscripts more POSIX compliant]

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Wed Feb 21 16:02:23 PST 2007

Joe Ciccone wrote:
> I'm all for parallelizing the boot scripts. The only thing I'm having
> a hard time getting my head around is updating the screen with the
> status.

That's part of what DJ's contrib/ LSB scripts help with.  Instead of
printing "starting X...", then later printing either "OK" or "FAILED",
the LSB interface basically forces you to build the whole line in a
string, and then echo it all at once.  This helps parallel scripts
because the normal console locking prevents different scripts from
stepping on each other.  (At least, I hope it does.)  It also lets you
do boot logging more easily.

Of course, that's different from the current scripts, but IIRC, DJ's LSB
scripts still have the old functions available for BLFS scripts.  They
wrap the LSB functions somehow; I'd have to look into it more closely to
know what exactly is going on.