Parallelizing bootscripts [was: Make bootscripts more POSIX compliant]

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Wed Feb 21 16:09:49 PST 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> The POSIX compliant stuff should go right into trunk.

Agreed.  There's no point in forcing the user to use bash for /bin/sh,
in my opinion, unless we really need it for something.  And I don't
think we do.

> I submitted some patches the other day that got things working on
> dash for me.

That was this post, right (the one that started this thread)?

http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-February/058936.html

Are those still the current patches? I remember some discussion of
testing whether echo or /bin/echo supports -e, and the first of those
patches just "punts" to printf instead. If you have an updated patch,
I'll certainly look through it again. (I'd say just commit your changes
to the repo, but I suspect it'd be better to get some opinions on any
updated version of them that may exist.)

> I also want to try posh, like Alexander suggested. There were a
> couple changes that Bruce suggested, too.

Let us know what you come up with; I'd be in favor of dropping those
changes right in, at least until the LSB stuff stabilizes.