Parallelizing bootscripts [was: Make bootscripts more POSIX compliant]

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 16:11:29 PST 2007

Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> That's part of what DJ's contrib/ LSB scripts help with.  Instead of
> printing "starting X...", then later printing either "OK" or "FAILED",
> the LSB interface basically forces you to build the whole line in a
> string, and then echo it all at once.  This helps parallel scripts
> because the normal console locking prevents different scripts from
> stepping on each other.  (At least, I hope it does.)  It also lets you
> do boot logging more easily.

I guess that's probably the easiest way to go about it. I'd still rather
see a way to view the progress. I guess the alternative would be to
write a custom program to use as the interpreter instead of bash and
have that program talk to itself via something (dbus maybe?) and update
the screen using ncurses (scrollable boot log?). But I don't think
that's a valid solution for LFS, but maybe hint or wiki material.