Make bootscripts more POSIX compliant

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:05:02 PST 2007

On 2/22/07, Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Thanks Dan.  The patches look fine to me.  Just one question though.  In patch
> 1, would it not be cleaner to simply use `printf' rather than try to find a
> non-broken `echo'?

That was the discussion with Bruce here:

http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-February/058937.html

The problem with using printf is that POSIX doesn't say that it needs
to be a builtin (although it is in dash) and the coreutils executable
is in /usr/bin. The other reason is that most of the LFSers seem to be
more familiar with echo and not as familiar with the printf syntax.

The first patches I attached at the beginning of this thread used
printf. I don't feel that strongly either way, so it can certainly be
discussed further. In either case, it requires the script to use a
different syntax ($ECHO or printf) if they need the escape sequences.

--
Dan