Breakage with bleeding edge host toolchains (Fedora)

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 28 11:33:08 PST 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 18:16, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Greg pointed out that it doesn't work on gcc-2.95.3[0].

That's probably the most polite version of "pay attention at the back of the
class" I've seen :-)  That's the same link as in your original email, which
it's pretty clear I paid no attention to on my initial reading.

> In gcc-2.95.3, if you pass -B and it's not
> needed for anything, it will issue a warning on stderr

In which case, I'd say just bump the GCC version requirement.  Are there
really any distributions out there that supply a kernel compiled with gcc >=
3.0 but have gcc-2.95.3 as the default compiler?  I suspect there's not many
and if there are they're not common anymore.  I note that Greg pointed out
that the last release of Debian that contained GCC-2.95.3 was only superceded
18 months ago.  I'm not sure that we should be catering to distros with such
glacially slow release schedules :-)  Seriously though, as long as the host
requirements aren't too onerous and LFS continues to build on a variety of
distributions, I'll be happy enough.

Matt.