LFS LiveCDs 6.2-4 - grub-install problems. (util-linux-2.12r?)

Piet Delaney piet at bluelane.com
Wed Jan 24 18:14:27 PST 2007

<posted & mailed>

Hi:

I'm having two unexpected problems with LFS LiveCDs 6.2-3 and 6.2-4
that don't occure on lfslivecd-x86-6.1.1-4.iso. I've got a workaround
for the second problem but haven't found a solution yet for the second;
see 2. below.

 1. The first is that I need to add a symbolic pointer from stage
    to stage2 in the ${DISK}/boot/ directory when running grub-install.
    The difference seems to be that the script is passing the wrong
    arg in grub to the install command. The '2' is missing from the
    the "(hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2" argument; Ex:

        # grub-install --debug  --root-directory=/recovery /dev/sda
        + case "$host_os" in
        + bootdir=/recovery/boot
        + grubdir=/recovery/boot/grub
        + device_map=/recovery/boot/grub/device.map
        + set /usr/sbin/grub dummy
        .
        .
        .
        grub> root (hd0,0)
        grub> setup  --stage2=/recovery/boot/grub/stage2 --prefix=/boot/grub (hd0)
        Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
        Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
        Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
        Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  15 sectors are
        embedded.
        succeeded
        Running "install --stage2=/recovery/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1
                        (hd0) (hd0)1+15 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage /boot/grub/menu.lst"...
        succeeded                                               ^
        Done.                                                   |
        grub> quit                                                      +---- HERE

 2. The second is that once a kernel is running that it can't open
    the root filesystem. It's not just a kernel problem, as even
    kernels more recent than the 2.6.16 kernel (2.6.18 for example)
    also fail to boot.

    I made a static version of our mke2fs ran it on the lfslivecd-x86-6.2.3
    and used it instead of the stock mke2fs and it didn't effect the
    problem. I ran a static dumpe2fs and checked the magic number.
    Seems the magic number hasn't changed.

   I recall when migrating from 2.4 to 2.6 there being some bin-utils or
   something that the kernel build process used to make the kerenl image.
   I suspect that I need to update that in my build environmennt. If that's
   it anyone know which package that is and where to get it from. I tried
   kernel.org wonder if it's util-linux-2.12r.

-piet