fsck + localtime in BIOS

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Jan 30 09:45:51 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 10:59:49AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Try turning off UTC time in LFS by setting the parameter to zero:

One issue with that:  The problem is that the setclock script hasn't
run yet.  The Linux kernel "get the time from the CMOS clock at boot"
code doesn't care what UTC is set to in the sysconfig file.  ;-)

I've seen this (it was caused by an RTC that got turned off when a
certain number of its interrupts never got acknowledged, and never got
restarted until the system-wide RST signal was set during power-on or
system-reset), and it is annoying.  The fix in my case was to hack up
hwclock so that it set the CMOS clock even when the RTC wasn't running
(because it only needs the RTC to run so it can get sub-second
precision, and I don't care about that at shutdown), but of course that
won't help here.  The reason for my failure was different.

(I've since replaced my sound card, which seems to have fixed the issue
of interrupts not getting acknowledged in the first place.)

Moving the setclock script before mountfs has some issues, too, if the
hwclock binary is in /usr.  But it's in /sbin, so we're OK there.