Bootscript patches

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 4 19:10:54 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> A thorough explanation of the pros and cons (and appropriate URLs
> to the package homepage) of the above suggestion is welcome. It's
> hard to comment when it takes blindly researching the suggestion.

Sure thing. It's been in Fedora/Red Hat for some time, but I guess I
should have known better than to assume that everyone would be familiar
with it. :)

Here's a link to the home page:
http://www.fastcoder.net/software/chkconfig/

To quote the above:

"Chkconfig is a tool for managing the collection of symbolic links found
in the /etc/rc[0-6].d directories, on System V derived UNIX systems. It
saves the system administrator from the tedium of manually managing the
scores of symbolic links."

Since this particular package is based on Fedora, I'm not sure how
portable it is for LFS, but the concept, really, is what I'm after.

I don't have a definitive list of pros and cons yet. I'll be looking
into it for the LFS system I'm building now, and I'll be able to speak
on that more soon.

In the meantime I was just curious if this was a concept others were
interested in.

--
JH