Util-linux-ng

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 5 13:48:44 PDT 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007 19:11:41 Joe Ciccone wrote:

> One thing that Chris brought up on IRC. for /tools, mount & umount now
> both depend on libblkid (from e2fsprogs) or libvolume_id (from udev).

Yeah, I saw this too.  It's not the most popular of changes though (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/util-linux-ng%40vger.kernel.org/msg00350.html and
David Miller's reply).  So, we might see a package agnostic filesystem
detection library, possibly even before util-linux-2.13 is out.  Anyway, I
agree - from the comments and patches I've seen from a brief glance at the
mailing list archives for util-linux-ng, that package has been in need of a
lot of TLC for a long time now so we'd do well to pick up the new releases
fairly quickly.

Regards,

Matt.