Safer linux-headers install

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 07:02:00 PDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Luca2 <liliana.perossa at fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> I didn't attach the patch because I'm not home nor on that box and, oh
> my god (...horror...), am on a M$ box because a project I'm involved.

Why don't you just explain it, then?

> In using your suggestion there is an additional "issue" too, an extra
> "cp"; anyway if you don't like an extra patch like, probably, many
> others, well, these are personal feelings and preferences :)

That sort of sucks to have the extra cp. The other thing that could be
done is take the clean header tree in ./usr/include by headers_check
and just cp that. Then it's the same number of commands.

make mrproper
make headers_check
cp -rv usr/include/* /usr/include

> Anyway, seeming to remember, there are some kernel headers installed
> (using "make headers_install") with wrong permissions, revealing when
> installing glibc; perhaps this issue is now solved, I don't know... (I
> built last lfs-dev last month) so sorry if I recall a "closed" issue.

Permissions look fine from my test here, but maybe it comes out
different when run as root. Please report this if you find it's still
the case and maybe we'll throw in a chmod.

--
Dan