SVN-20070706: Step 5.7 Adjusting the Toolchain

Jon Fullmer jon at jonfullmer.com
Thu Jul 12 19:49:06 PDT 2007

I don't understand.  I'm aware of CLFS (and even for the PowerPC).
This is assuming I want to build a system on a platform other than
its destined platform.  I'm actually building it on a PowerPC box
running LFS-6.2. That's not the point.

The reason I mentioned that I was doing this on PowerPC was to put
all the variables on the table.  I'm not sure if this is unique to
PowerPC. I suspect that it's actually unique to gcc-4.1.  The point
is, if you do a "gcc -dumpspecs", the linker information is no longer
at the beginning of the line.  It's in the middle.

The problem is that step 5.7 is about making sure that your linking
against the /tools/lib/ linker, not the /lib linker. Because the sed
statement specifies the substitution only if the text matches at the
beginning of the line, the linker is not substituted. I discovered
this because I followed the steps, ran the gcc test, and discovered
that I was still linking to the /lib linker.

Has anyone running this on x86 come across this?  Is there anyone
with a gcc 4.1 install that can verify whether the linkers mentioned
in the dumpspecs file still only show up at the beginning of the
line?  They don't for me.

  - Jon