SVN-20070706: Step 5.7 Adjusting the Toolchain

William Harrington wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Thu Jul 12 20:54:46 PDT 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 8:46 PM, Jon Fullmer wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> Forgive a novice to this list. I couldn't find any mention of this,
> so if it's already been talked about, I'm sorry.
>
> Step 5.7 of the recent development book shows this step currently to
> generate the specs file:
>
> gcc -dumpspecs | sed 's@^/lib/ld-linux.so.2@/tools&@g' \
>> `dirname $(gcc -print-libgcc-file-name)`/specs
>
> When putting this system for a non-x86 (PowerPC, to be specific), I
> noticed that this setup is actually wrong.

At section 5.2 people are to be aware of the linker. Also, as a PPC
builder, you know you'll build more packages than what is mentioned
in the book. It is good practice to manually check the specs file and
any other patches that affect the linker. This information might be
targeted to someone who has a great idea of what is going on with the
specs patches and the toolchain adjustments and they will adjust the
build accordingly. The setup is correct. The linker may need to be
changed, though.

Sincerely,

William