SVN-20070706: Step 5.7 Adjusting the Toolchain

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 13 13:49:41 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 08:49:06PM -0600, Jon Fullmer wrote:
> I don't understand.  I'm aware of CLFS (and even for the PowerPC).
> This is assuming I want to build a system on a platform other than
> its destined platform.  I'm actually building it on a PowerPC box
> running LFS-6.2. That's not the point.

 But, given that most LFS (and BLFS) developers think using anything
other than x86 is unsupportable, CLFS is the only way to go for other
architectures.  And yes, pretending to cross-compile does work for
native builds.  There is a long tradition of using LFS on ppc, but
the book doesn't directly support it.

> The reason I mentioned that I was doing this on PowerPC was to put
> all the variables on the table.  I'm not sure if this is unique to
> PowerPC. I suspect that it's actually unique to gcc-4.1.  The point
> is, if you do a "gcc -dumpspecs", the linker information is no longer
> at the beginning of the line.  It's in the middle.

 And as others have already noted, yes you are absolutely correct
that the linker information is not at the start of the line.

ĸen