SVN-20070706: Step 5.7 Adjusting the Toolchain

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 16:26:43 PDT 2007

On 7/13/07, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> >  But, given that most LFS (and BLFS) developers think using anything
> > other than x86 is unsupportable, CLFS is the only way to go for other
> > architectures.
>
> Ken, That is a little unfair.  I don't know of any LFS or BLFS
> developers that think non-x86 is unsupportable.  We have chosen to keep
> those books x86 only due to the personal preferences, the hardware
> available to them, and a preference of wanting to use the simplest
> instructions possible without IF $arch == 'x' constructs.  We have no
> problems with pointing people to CLFS when it is appropriate.

I would actually really like to add x86_64 (non-multilib to start)
support to LFS and BLFS. It's becoming increasingly uncommon to even
be able to purchase a non-64bit processor at this point. We can
basically copy what Greg's done on DIY (which is where I go looking
for native toolchain stuff anyway), and maybe we could use Manuel's
XSLfoo to not have a whole bunch of $ARCH conditionals.

That's what I think, anyway.

--
Dan