x86_64 build method

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 24 09:10:29 PDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:59:39 -0400, Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:40:24 -0400, Jeremy Huntwork
> <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The question is, do we want x86_64 to be a separate book, or simply
> roll
>>> these small changes into a conglomerate book with x86?
>>
>> I'd certainly prefer them to be in the same book,
>
> My biggest problem with this approach is that it gets to be a nightmare
> to edit. But, it is do-able.

Hmm, that "nightmare" seems a bit extreme.  Certainly, for native x86-64, which is the only additional target we're contemplating at the moment, having 2 paragraphs (or small sections at the most) in the book surrounded in the relevant profiling syntax, doesn't seem too onerous to me.  Once in there, I doubt they'd need amending much - probably only if newer GCC versions change relevant portions of the specs file.

Of course, if more targets are desired in the future, our approach may well need to change, but for now I think x86 & x86-64 native builds capture the largest section of the LFS audience and anyone else can continue on to CLFS.

Regards,

Matt.