LFS LiveCD x86_64-6.3-min-pre1 Available

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 27 18:04:53 PDT 2007

kas wrote:
> Jeremy, I'm not trying to rain on your parade ... I want to figure out if I am
> doing something wrong or if we are building incorrectly ... or if gcc is (you
> fill in the blank).

It's OK, I had my parade rain-proofed recently. ;) I just wanted to make
sure your comparisons would be as accurate as possible without any
unexpected influences.

Whether or not 64-bit outshines (or is outshined by) 32-bit is a
complicated and, from all I can tell, unsettled issue. The factors that
influence performance vary from case to case. In any case, the current
comparisons may very well be something that changes over time, as
developers design their software with 64-bit in mind.

BTW, I do appreciate the thoroughness with which you tackled this. :)
The project(s) could always use more skilled hands that help test and
report on various issues. For example, the LiveCD project could always
do with some help testing the CD build scripts, reporting on package
upgrades, etc.

--
JH