suggest 'make -j2' for SMP machines?

Colin Kemp colin at greenballenterprises.net
Mon Jun 4 20:12:08 PDT 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 10:56 PM, Deskin Miller wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Miguel Bazdresch <lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org> wrote:
>> Deskin Miller wrote:
>>> [ should the book say anything about 'make -j X' on multi-core
>>> systems? ]
>>
>> ['make -j X' where X is number of cores is more or less optimal...]
>>
>> As far as mentioning it in the book... I'm not enthusiastic, since
>> it's basic knowledge of how your computer works... OTOH we already
>> say some pretty basic things, and the proliferation of multicore
>> CPUs might warrant a mention of make -j.
>
> The concept of matching 'make -j X' to the number of cores isn't
> difficult, but I'd argue it's worth a mention as much for those who
> haven't had cause to wonder about 'make's various flags before, as to
> give people a lesson in multi-core theory: in my own case, as a Linux
> user for several years now, make -j was an eye-opener when I came
> across it only yesterday, since I had never had a SMP or multi-core
> system until very recently upon which to compile, and thus unwittingly
> filtered out from my Linux knowledge the make flags which didn't have
> any use to me, until now.
>
> In short: say it for those who lack 'make' knowledge, as well as those
> who lack 'multi-core' knowledge.
>
> -Deskin Miller
> --

it was my understanding that LFS was designed for those with only a
basic knowledge. personally, if it wasnt for LFS i would have
absolutely NO knowledge of linux whatsoever. I think it would be an
excellent idea to include the make -j X stuff in the book, since it
is for beginners and LFS is a good learning experience, so include
all you can

Colin Kemp

GreenBall Enterprises
colin at greenballenterprises.net