Add an IP alias to ethernet interface

Deskin Miller deskinm at umich.edu
Wed Jun 6 18:42:41 PDT 2007

On 6/6/07, Bryan Kadzban <bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net> wrote:

> On 6/6/07, Andrew Beverly <andy at andybev.com> wrote:
> > Personally though, I think it would be useful to still include the
> > ALIAS directive (it's only a few extra line of code).
>
> I don't know whether that's true or not; it may be.  The only reason I
> can think of off the top of my head is firewall rules...
> [snipped]

Alias interfaces let you run multiple independent copies of the same
network server from the same NIC, and have them be addressed
differently, have truly different DNS entries, and all use standard
port numbers.  I imagine they're a huge win for low-end Web hosting
companies, who might put several Web servers/VMs on the same physical
box, and oversubscribe the NIC bandwidth reported to their customers.
They're wonderfully useful for firewall rules, as well as things like
differing QoS classes for different alias interfaces.  There're other
uses; these are the first that came to my mind.

-Deskin Miller