Add an IP alias to ethernet interface

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu Jun 7 13:00:16 PDT 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> I suspect the alias option exists in ip for compatibility with
> ifconfig,
> and no other reason.  But I don't know that for sure.

I believe that's correct. In the past the kernel supported aliases
with independent statistics and the like, but that hasn't been true
for years. Modern kernels don't treat aliases interfaces any
different than secondary addresses on the main interface -- both
interface statistics and iptables traversal treat all aliases just
like the main interface, and the alternate label is only maintained
to support legacy configurations and tools.

	Zach