Add an IP alias to ethernet interface

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Jun 8 18:16:37 PDT 2007

On Jun 8, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> On 6/8/07, Andrew Beverley <andy at andybev.com> wrote:
>
> I agree with Andy here. Regardless of the reason for alias/label, if
> it's used in iproute2, we should expose the functionality. This page I
> found on linux-ip.net seems to promote using labels when there are
> multiple addresses assigned to an interface.

I don't know that it will cause any problems, other than it might
lead people to believe that the primary interface and its other
labels are treated differently. But you could make the same argument
in the other direction -- people used to using named aliases will
think that they can only assign 1 IP per interface -- so I don't have
a strong opinion one way or the other, so long as the scripts support
multiple address per interface label (or lack thereof).

It's worth noting that iproute2 calls the field a "label" in the man
page and specifically notes how it's different than Linux-2.0-style
interface aliases:

> The address is a protocol (IP or IPv6) address attached to a
> network device. Each device must have at least one address to use
> the corresponding protocol. It is possible to have several
> different addresses attached to one device. These addresses are not
> discriminated, so that the term alias is not quite appropriate for
> them and we do not use it in this document.

I'd suggest using the modern nomenclature, possibly including a
similar note.

	Zach