Bootscript patches

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 16 12:15:11 PDT 2007

On Saturday 16 June 2007 19:32:17 Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Don't suppress stderr for some utilities. This can hide critical errors
> during boot. For instance, I had an issue where mountfs was returning
> with critical errors, but I couldn't see this issue. It turns out it was
> just a missing mountpoint in /etc/fstab. This would have been easy to
> spot of stderr from mount hadn't been suppressed.

There's another couple of instances in console and the if{down,up} scripts.
There may be reasons why these were left alone - I've only done a simple
grep, not analysed them yet.  Also, I'd prefer the instances in modules were
removed in this patch, rather than the cleanup patch - that way all the
stderr suppression removal is in the same place.  That's really picking nits
though.

Thanks,

Matt.