initramfs support

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Jun 19 05:46:20 PDT 2007

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> I have it copying all kernel modules into the initramfs, which ends up
> making it enormous if I run it after installing the nvidia module.  (The
> nvidia module is 9M.  Non-nvidia modules total up to about another 8-9M
> uncompressed on my system.  The compressed initramfs is about 8M.)  I
> could just copy modules that are expected to be required to get the root
> FS up, but then I'd have to rerun depmod, and that means I'd have to
> create a separate copy of the /lib/modules/$KVER tree.

Debian users of initramfs-tools can choose which set of modules to include
in the initramfs via config file. Yaird even guesses this information
automatically at initramfs build time by looking into sysfs, but (as a
result) an initramfs created by yaird is not suitable for other computers,
because it includes only the minimal set of modules.

> (And I don't copy /lib/firmware to the initramfs.  Perhaps I should.)

Yes, you should. IBM ServeRAID looks like a SCSI adapter, but requires firmware.

> I'd like to get this working with devmapper and dm-raid if possible
> eventually (and other setups), though I can't test any of that.  But
> before I do that, I'd like to get some comments from others.

You can test dmraid even without the corresponding hardware. Simply install
qemu or any other emulator, connect two disks of the same size to the
virtual machine, and dd the two attached files to them, so that they both
appear at 11th sector from the end of the disks. On a real machine, it is
the BIOS job to write them, but the attached fake signatures are just as
good for testing. E.g., for qemu and 2GB disk images:

dd if=/dev/null of=hda.dsk seek=4194304
dd if=/dev/null of=hdb.dsk seek=4194304
dd if=format0.bin of=hda.dsk conv=notrunc seek=4194293
dd if=format1.bin of=hdb.dsk conv=notrunc seek=4194293
qemu -hda hda.dsk -hdb hdb.dsk -cdrom lfslivecd-x86-6.2-5.iso -boot d

Then, in qemu, run "dmraid -ay". In bootable setups, this goes both to the
initramfs and in the bootscripts, immediately after udev, and you also need
the -i switch due to /var/lock not being available for writing. This command
will find the fake HPT45X RAID1 signatures from the attached files and make
the /dev/mapper/hpt45x_cabijbfdeg device. You can "partition" it with fdisk
(ignore the error at the end) and rerun "dmraid -ay" for the device mapper
to see the newly created partitions (they would have names such as
/dev/mapper/hpt45x_cabijbfdeg1). Then, treat these devices as you would
normally do: make a filesystem, install LFS (by transferring a known good
installation via tar, because QEMU is too slow to compile stuff).

To install GRUB into MBR, use these commands instead of what the book says:

mkdir -p /mnt/raid/boot/grub
cp /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/*stage* /mnt/raid/boot/grub
grub

and in the grub shell, type:

device (hd0) /dev/mapper/hpt45x_cabijbfdeg
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

Then "qemu -hda hda.dsk -hdb hdb.dsk" should boot from this fake RAID.

Hope this helps.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov