initramfs support

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Jun 19 09:37:39 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 06:46:20PM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Debian users of initramfs-tools can choose which set of modules to include
> in the initramfs via config file. Yaird even guesses this information
> automatically at initramfs build time by looking into sysfs, but (as a
> result) an initramfs created by yaird is not suitable for other computers,
> because it includes only the minimal set of modules.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think we're going to need to
build a whole fake FS tree and just use cpio.  I really like what I
have, but if it doesn't work for the users, it's kinda pointless.  (I
may still use it for myself, though.  Well, whatever.)

> >(And I don't copy /lib/firmware to the initramfs.  Perhaps I should.)
>
> Yes, you should. IBM ServeRAID looks like a SCSI adapter, but requires
> firmware.

Oh, OK.  Will do then.  That means I can get rid of the initial
blacklist, too.

> You can test dmraid even without the corresponding hardware. Simply install
> qemu or any other emulator <snip tons of useful info>

I think I already have qemu running, so that should help with that.
It'll take some setup, but this should help with testing that stuff.
Thanks!