Problem with bash-3.2 patch

Jens Stroebel drifter at bcsoft.de
Fri Mar 16 07:27:33 PDT 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 01:12:11PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

		[..snip...]

> > Following up my own post, sorry, but I thought the above incomplete after
> > a bit more testing:
> >
> > It seems like it's OK to "" the left side of the comparison,
> > but not the regex which should be matched:
>
> Jens, if you think this is a bug, it would be great if you could ask
> on bug-bash. The worst that can happen is that they tell you it's not
> a bug. Actually, it looks like this has happened already, and you have
> to be careful with bash-3.1 v. 3.2 when using quotes on the rhs.

I have to admit I'm not sure if it's a bug, really.
It seems to me like it's kind of intentional behaviour, given the thread
which contains the message w. URL you sent:

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2007-03/msg00017.html

Messages
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2007-03/msg00037.html
	and
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2007-03/msg00043.html
of this thread seem to indicate that the bash people are more concerned
about "clearly defined quoting behaviour" than they are about consistent
behaviour w. regards to former bash versions.

Of course it's inconsistent with former bash-versions and "not nice"
for the existing script material, I'd guess.

(When regular expressions are seen approaching on the horizon,
 I normally turn to perl, though...; so it's not an actual problem
 in our context)

I'll try to get something written when I found out how to put an argument
against "we finally cleansed it up"...

		greets,
		  Jens
drifter at bcsoft.de
		23.....56.......drifting
 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is
 not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they
 are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them
 as they fly overhead.      [RFC1925 - section 2, subsection 3]

drifter at bcsoft.de
		23.....56.......drifting
It hurts sometimes more than we can bear.
If we could live without passion, maybe
we'd know some kind of peace.
But we would be hollow.
Empty rooms, shuttered and dank...